Friday, March 1, 2013

NEW SUSPENSE RELEASE

THE HIDDEN SON
by
Dianna T. Benson

When U.S. DEA Special Agent Lelisa Desmond refuses to follow an order to bury evidence in a high profile case, her superior inexplicably hires a hit man to kill her. Lelisa barely survives the first attempt on her life, but someone close to her is mistakenly murdered in her place.

Lelisa sets off on a daring mission to bring down the man who ordered her execution. A man in a high position, with powerful friends. A man who will stop at nothing to protect his son.

Can she take him down, before he sends someone else to silence her forever?



INTERVIEW WITH:


Dianna T. Benson

VBT: 2012 was an exciting year for your writing career, Dianna. Tell us about it:

DIANNA: Starting in February 2012, for thirteen weeks I had a pending contract offer from one of the largest traditional print publishing houses. The entire editorial staff and the entire leadership team loved my writing, but in the end the leadership team decided their suspense list is already too full. During this thirteen week timeframe, my agent and the senior acquisitions editor thought it was just a matter of time before my contract finalized, so my agent understandably let go of all the other interest in my writing. Soon after those thirteen weeks with that publishing house, Ellechor Publishing House, a small traditional print house, contacted me and asked me to submit to them my 2011 Genesis Winner, Illusion of Safety. A few days later, they offered for all nine books I submitted to them. My first book, The Hidden Son, releases March 1, 2013.

VBT: You received one of the most fabulous publishing contracts for an unpublished author that I’ve ever hear of. Tell us about it.

DIANNA: My nine-book contract is for three trilogies; all nine books are stand-alones but compliment each of the other two books in the series. My contract is amazing and my publisher, especially my editor and publicist, is a joy to work with; I’m blessed and thankful. I have full say on my book cover designs—I write a book cover concept, and the art department turns my words into a visual that mirror-matches what I have in my head.


VBT: You were a double finalist in the 2011 ACFW Genesis Contest and went on to win with Illusions of Safety in the mystery/suspense/thriller category. How has this helped you achieve your writing goals?

DIANNA: Contest wins look great on a proposal, but in the end the business side of a publishing house makes the final decision on contract offers, and unpublished writing contests have no relation to their current lists, their financials, the market, sales, a writer’s platform, or what constitutes as excellent and high profitable writing. However, due to being a 2011 Genesis Winner with Illusion of Safety, Ellechor Publishing House contacted me with an offer to submit Illusion of Safety for consideration of publication with them. From there, they read The Hidden Son and Final Trimester as well as the premises for Books Two and Books Three in all three trilogies, and they offered me a nine-book contract.


VBT: The Hidden Son is your first published novel. What states will you cover in your two-month book tour?

DIANNA: My publicist is currently planning my book tour and events. The following states are in the plans: Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, Oregon, California, Arizona, Colorado, Texas and Kansas. Last autumn, I pre-marketed in Paris and London, and the bookstores I visited are excited to sell my books. I may add Europe on my tour. The Cayman Islands are British owned and government operated, and The Hidden Son is the first book in the Cayman Islands Trilogy, so I may add Grand Cayman as well.


VBT: How has your eight-year career as an EMS, Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative figured in your writing?

DIANNA: To be honest, I owe my writing career to my EMS career. I wouldn’t be where I am as a published author without all those years in medic school and continuation education courses, without the countless shifts and varied calls, without all the various patients and intense and dangerous situations. Not only did my EMS career standout my proposal in the eyes of agents and publishers, but it soared my writing to heights I never would’ve been able to reach without all my firsthand emergency medical and rescue knowledge and experience. Since I only work part time, all the firefighters, law enforcers and paramedics I work scenes with inspire me every shift. I have massive respect for these individuals who work an incredible amount of intense hours every week and make low wages while risking their lives and health to help others. I hope my books give at least a little back to them for all their dedication and diligence to strangers in need.



VBT: How do you manage your EMS career, and a family with the daunting writing schedule?

DIANNA: I’m extremely organized and have an overabundant amount of energy, so I apply that energy into things I feel good about spending my life doing. It was rough when my children were young and I was writing, but my youngest daughter is thirteen now, my son is a junior in high school and my oldest daughter is a sophomore in college and all three of them are high-level busy student athletes, so I’m often writing as I travel to their sporting events all over the country.


VBT: Your daughter tried out for the 2012 Olympic Swim team shortly after haveing major back surgery. I know you are proud of her. Tell us about that.

DIANNA: In August 2010, my oldest daughter swam a time that qualified her to compete in the 2012 US Olympic Swim Team Trials for a spot on the 2012 US Olympic Swim Team that competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Unfortunately, she had surgery for severe scoliosis on May 2, 2012, not even eight weeks before the US Olympic Trials. If interested in the details that led to that surgery, see the Medical Blog page on my website: www.diannatbenson.com for information on how to view the blog that posted July 2012 titled A Scoliosis Journey, a blog I wrote just two weeks after her surgery (so in May 2012).

Unbelievably, less than eight weeks post her scoliosis surgery that left her with a thirteen-inch incision scar, she competed at the 2012 US Olympic Swim Team Trials. She refused to not go and try to swim her best, so she started to get back in shape only a couple weeks post surgery, and she battled pain as her body adjusted to the new positioning of her spine, scapulas, shoulders and rib cage as well as all the surrounding muscles, tendons and ligaments. She only began to find her new stroke with her new back when she swam in US Olympic Swim Team Trials.

She excited for the next three years of her college swim career at ACC Championships and NCAA Championships, and then she’ll be back at US Olympic Trials in 2016.


VBT: Any advice for new unpublished authors?

DIANNA: Read countless books in the genre you want to write. Don’t focus on the “rules” you may hear about writing. Just write from your heart, and God will lead you on the correct path for you and your writing. Every person is different; every writer is different. Find your way.

For further advice and information, see the On Writing page on my website.


VBT: Feel free to add any questions on information you would like your readers to know about you.

DIANNA: My website: www.diannatbenson.com
Also, The Hidden Son is available on:

1) Barnes and Noble
2) Ellechor Publishing
3) Google Books
4) Amazon.com
5) Christianbook.com
6) http://buy.christianbookstoday.org/product.asp?itemid=50


DIANNA: Thank you, Virginia, for hosting me!

VBT:  My pleasure, Dianna. Very best wishes on the launch of new novel.

Dianna

5 comments:

  1. Dianna,

    Congratulations! I am so excited for you! You're proof that there is hope in the traditional publishing world.

    Best wishes on The Hidden Son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nine book contract! I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to read the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, Quinn and Jackie: Thank you for reading and for your sweet comments. Best wishes always, Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! A nine-book contract is impressive. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete